Wagga Wagga RSL Sub Branch Women's Auxiliary

From the formation of the Wagga Wagga sub-branch of the RSSILA (Returned Sailors and Soldiers of the Imperial League of Australia), wives, girlfriends and families had assisted the ex-servicemen with catering and fundraising activities.  however, a formal organisation or women's auxiliary was not formed until 1930 when the sub-branch moved into its own clubhouse.

The auxiliary was formed at the invitation of the sub-branch.  At the sub-branch's monthly meeting held in August 1930, after a lot of discussion, it had been decided to form a women's auxiliary to work in conjunction with the sub-branch in arranging Armistice Day and Anzac Day celebrations and to assist the league with social functions.  Interested ladies were asked to write to the secretary of the league.  At the September meeting, after the sub-branch had moved into its new clubhouse (the former fire brigade station) a sub-committee of the sub-branch comprising Messrs Harrison, Nutt, Stillman, Caddy and McCoulough was appointed to meet 'interested women friends' in the new hall the following week.  The meeting was held on 3 October and a women's auxiliary duly formed.  The first committee of the auxiliary comprised Mrs J. A. Harrison, wife of the president of the Wagga sub-branch of the RSL (president), Mrs C. A. Healey and Mrs W. H. Stillman (vice presidents), Mrs L. Caddy (secretary-treasurer), and Medames Whealy, W. J. Morrow and H. R. Nutt.  It was decided that the sub-branch and the auxiliary would work in conjunction in arranging the official opening of the hall.

An advertisement was placed in the paper inviting all returned soldiers and their wives and friends and members of the Red Cross to the official opening on 17 October 1930.  A program of music and games was promised and it was hoped that there would be a big attendance for the 'housewarming'.  According to The Daily Advertiser, 18 October 1930.

LEFT: V. (Mrs J.A.) Harrison, the first president of the Women's Auxiliary of the Wagga Wagga Sub-branch of the Returned Sailors and Soldiers Imperial League of Australia (RSSILA). She was elected on 3 October 1930.